Beginners course

Beginners Course

Learn the correct names for the parts of a bike

Pre-ride check

Learn about tyre pressure and wheel sizes
Remove and replace your wheels correctly
Remove and replace tyres without causing a puncture
Fit a new inner tube
Mend a puncture
How to break and rejoin a chain correctly
When and why does a chain need changing
Discover how a rear derailleur works


You will also get goody bags at the end of the course.
Course price R190

Friday 21 November 2014

It's a crazy love.

A few months ago Michael and I went cycling on the Avianto track.

The track is very boring at first especially in winter when the grass is dry and the scenery is a dull brownish, khaki green.  You cycle up and down, up and down on winding tracks on the same hill.  Finally you divert to a large open field and see a bit of country side.

10 km away from the club house my derailleur snapped right off while going down a hill.  No accident, no bump, it simply decided to jump right off.  My bicycle had been away for 4 weeks for a new derailleur and now the day after I got it back it was off again.  

Michael assessed the situation.  It was a very long walk back.  He broke my bicycle's chain and rejoined it so that I would be able to cycle without gears.

I now only had a  tough gear but we decided to continue.  Avianto's track saves the worst for last.  Already tired we hit very rough uphills and down hills full of loose rocks.  Because of the gears I could not gain momento for the uphills.  I was pushing and sweating, pushing and sweating, pushing and sweating.  When I thought we were close to the end of the trail, we hit yet another daunting hill.  I was by now thoroughly exhausted so I started to cry.

Michael:  "Why are you crying?"

Me:  "Because I am so tired"

Then we both started laughing.

When I got home I did what I always do after a long tough track.  I got into the bath and soaked myself for about an hour.  Rubbed of the dirt and as usual realised that some of the dirt that  I was trying to rub off  was actually bruises.  Every part of my body ached and yet all I could think about was,

"I hope the new derailleur the manufacturer is sending works this time."


No comments:

Post a Comment